Shabu shabu


One of our favorite dinners is shabu shabu. Tonight I decided to make a better dashi. In the past we just boiled the konbu in water, but after reading Super Sushi Ramen Express I decided that we could do better. The Serious Eats dashi post led me to this Cooking Issues experiment on dashi

To follow their recipe, I heated up a pot of water to 149 degrees F (65 degrees C) and then poured 2 L of this into a Ziploc bag with 20 g of konbu in it. I put the whole bag back into the pot, added a little more water, and set my sous vide circulator to 149 degrees F. I didn't have much time so I only cooked it for 30 minutes or so. Then I dumped it into another pot, took out the konbu, and brought it to a rolling boil. I added one packet bonito flakes and turned off the heat. I steeped this for 5 minutes then strained it. The result was so much better than boiled konbu! Next time maybe I'll try one of the cold extraction methods in the Cooking Issues post since one of the benefits of this meal is how fast we can get it on the table when we get home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Butter chicken

Kheema nariyal saag