Gau

Coworkers are having a Valentine's Day/Chinese New Year potluck this week so I experimented with making gau in the Instant Pot. I "followed" the recipe from Jay Chung on the Aloha Instant Pot Facebook group. I didn't have everything on the list so I modified it by using brown sugar. 

I also used these mini loaf pans since I didn't have the little round popup pans. The loaf pans are 5 inches long and two fit in one layer on the trivet.

The way I made it resulted in a gau that was very dark but tasted like I thought it should. It came out sticky and chewy. The height was a little flat. I probably could have put the full recipe into one loaf pan, but I didn't feel lucky enough to experiment with the time!

Here's the recipe as I made it with weights to help measure:

Instant Pot Mini Gau
(after Jay Chung)

water, 6 oz/180 g
brown sugar, 6 oz/180 g
mochiko, 5 oz/150 g
non-stick spray

  1. Prepare pans with non-stick spray.
  2. Boil water, add to brown sugar. Whisk until smooth. 
  3. Add mochiko. Whisk until smooth. 
  4. Divide into two mini loaf pans, 8.5 oz in each.
  5. Put 1.5 cups water in bottom of Instant Pot. Add trivet. Place loaf pans on top of trivet.
  6. Manual 45 minutes, NPR.
  7. Cool overnight. Loosen with plastic knife and cut into slices.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Butter chicken

Kheema nariyal saag